We only have one Earth. Let's celebrate its beauty by asking ourselves what we are doing to preserve this one home we all share.
The climate and ecological crises can no longer be solved within today's political and economic systems. And that is not an opinion, it is simple maths. It is a terrible mathematical equation we have created ourselves. We should be worried about that and do something about it, but that is another problem.
The air we breathe, the water we drink, and the food we eat all rely on biodiversity. But the choices we make as consumers also have a huge impact on our world and the species that call it home. So, what can we do to be conscious consumers and support all species?
- Pick plant-based alternatives over meat,
- Eat seasonal and local,
- Reduce your food waste and compost,
- Skip the single-use plastic,
- Reduce food packing by using reusable bags or reusing glass jars and containers,
- Promote local and indigenous biodiversity of food and nutrition,
- Support your pollinators,
- Plant flowers like milkweed, bee balm, and catmint to give your bees and butterflies some love.
Climate change is real. We all know that. Some might feel a bigger impact of that than others, but it is undeniable. Climate IS changing. And we are lying to ourselves. Stop saying 'everything will be fine'. Because it simply will not be. Unless we change something. It is an uncomfortable thought, but it is what it is. So, for the love to our world and future generations, let's just start the change and save the world. United.
Lejla Pogačar, 9.a